Sunday, May 6, 2007

And you may ask yourself...

....how did I get here?

So after Jen visited yesterday, I found myself mulling over my totally suburban lifestyle. When asked what we were doing this weekend I answered "getting a lawnmower" & Jennifer, who lives & works in DC proper, slightly grinned at me I'm sure wondering "when on earth did this happen?"

After getting a freezer for our garage, a lawnmower for our front AND backyard, flower box planting & patio furniture shopping I started asking myself that same question. We've quickly become Suburbanized. And it's hitting me like a ton of bricks. I don't mind, all that much, but it is quite a shock & I do not doubt that we would NOT be doing ALL of this if it weren't for Liam.

I love it though. I really do. It's just amazing how quickly you Grow Up once you have a baby. Pretty stupid thing to realize, right? Stupid but interesting in a sociological sort of way. I'm my own test case.

And I think & write all of this while I'm making Liam's spinach - fresh from the Farmer's Market & glorious in its Freshness.

When on earth DID this happen to me? I won't be running out to buy any gardening shoes or a kneeling mat because I don't think I've crossed over that far BUT I also love the time we are spending as family, with Liam in his backpack helping Daddy clean up the yard, & it makes me want to MORE.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I wouldn't call it "surburbanized." I'd call it "domesticated." :)

I am guilty though, as well. And I bought (knock-off) crocs a few months ago, and I have TWO kneeling pads!

I also dropped another $50 on flowers at lunchtime! I can't get enough! I get lured in by things like ornamental grasses! It's sickening, and I can't claim that it's because i'm a mother, either!

Nikki said...

(and that's a lotta exlcamation points)

jennifer said...

You're fooling yourself ;) We're suburbanites! This is not the same conversation her & I would have been having if we had lived in the City!

Nikki said...

But i DO live in the city! :) My city's just not as big as yours, I guess!

jennifer said...

you can't fool me with your attempts at justifications! Here's my revision - you don't live DOWNTOWN :)

Nikki said...

DMANIT!