Saturday, April 28, 2007

I ROCK!

FINALLY finished my CDN taxes!! And I don't owe anything, I actually am getting a refund!

This is happy news because when I used online software to calculate my taxes "they" royally screwed it up & had me OWING over $1200! On only 7 months of employment! I nearly had another birth story to write up, but this one would have included a cow!

My dad was helping me out very much but I didn't have the time to sit down and get it re-done. He had found a few glaring errors that needed correcting...last night I sat down at 10:30pm to redo them...and the SOFTWARE SUCKS ASS.

I finally gave up & asked for help as I was only making my balance owed LARGER by trying to correct my mistakes. Matias & my dad hovered over me & tried to figure out what *I* was doing wrong - ahem - it was NOT me, it was the software not being able to handle my "non-resident + CDN income - no foreign taxable income" status. We went through the forms manually after printing them all out (really need a REAL printer) & decided at 1am to go to bed & finish it up for real, by hand, with a calculator & a pen.

As soon as Liam went down for his nap, I started going through all 15 pages of it - complete with Schedule A, Schedule 10 & Schedule 1 forms (can I get a WTF?) - and FOUND THE SOFTWARE'S ERROR! I was so excited I celebrated with a cigarette & a call to my dad (who is driving to Cary right now...) to tell him I found their goddamn error!

I know you are dying to know what it was - not only did they tax my CDN income BUT they also "claimed" that I had foreign income that needed to be taxed & collected on behalf of the CDN government! Income that I DO NOT HAVE! And nowhere in the software was I EVER asked/prompted/given the option to add any foreign income! BASTARDS! And since the software doesn't supply you with all the various Schedules & Forms to complete/punch in your numbers there was NO WAY TO CHANGE IT! We could NOT figure out where they were getting this number from - but the math genius that I am figured it out - of course I figured it out by READING but still, I figured it out nonetheless!

Take that stupidstupid software fuckers!

No comments: