Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Strange little rant

Sometimes I browse pictures on Flickr just to see what's "interesting" and all that...and I almost always walk away pissed off & really, really annoyed.

Almost every single picture is "photoshopped" & I'm left wondering what is the original exposure & what is manipulated. And that pisses me off. I love untouched photos. Sometimes I like the effect of photoshopped photos but what's really left of the essence of the photo? Not a whole lot, it seems to me. But yet everyone is so impressed with the picture when you should be impressed with the software skills. It's still art, don't think I don't recognize that but at what point do we have to start labeling photos as manipulated art? It's no longer in its true, original format & like I already mentioned that's fine & still a "legitimate" form of artistic expression but it is no longer photography. You are using the medium of photography as your canvas for digital manipulation.

And then, in its most selfish form this rant will include pieces of "why can't I take pictures like that?" or "wonder how much you'd have to spend on a camera/lens/filters to get that shot?" only to realize that this is no longer anywhere close to what it looked like originally. And that pisses me off!

I really think there should be a separate category for manipulated photographs and "raw/untouched" images. And that's not simply because all I know how to do is delete red-eye, change to black & white and clone out flash showing up in mirror & windows...

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Amen, Sista! In my quest to learn photography (i.e.-learn how to use my camera and take amazing photos), i say the SAME exact thing! What has happened to great photography? I mean, lately, when I see a good picture...it has most likely been cropped, and layered and burned, and sharpened, etc..etc..I mean,ANYONE can do that if they know the software! What has happened to "having a good eye" and studying photography and a science? It frustrates me to no end!